Monday, December 17, 2012

Recap of Amazon Promotion

I've read that offering your book for free on Amazon is a great way to get free publicity, new readers, and eventually more sales.  I decided rather last minute to offer a two-day promo on my book.  Upon doing my research, one person noted that for fiction books, selling 1,000 free books during a 5-day promo would be a good goal.  With that in mind, I was surprised when I surpassed the 1,000 mark on day one of my free promo.

As far as I know, only one of the websites that I submitted promotional information to posted First Sight.  Of course, once it reached the bestseller list, it "sold" itself.  It was exciting to watch my novel move up the Amazon bestseller list, even if it was the separate bestseller list for free Kindle books.  My book was around 55,000 in the Kindle Store after week one.  I wish I would've written down the exact number before I started my free promotion, but it didn't occur to me at the time.  On day two of my promo, my novel was listed as #109 Free in the Kindle Store.  It's also in the Top 10 Free Bestsellers in Contemporary Fiction! 

I've downloaded free Kindle books before, but I only download those that appeal to me.  Assuming other readers think like me, they only download books that they have an interest in and want to read.  If each of the people who've downloaded my book recommends it to just one other person, I'll have reached an amazing number of people who have never heard of me before and possibly never would have found my book otherwise.  I'm hoping the publicity from this free promo and word-of-mouth will boost sales in the days and weeks following.  If it is successful, I'll look into doing this again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment