Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Technical Difficulties on Amazon

Overall I've been really happy with self-publishing on Amazon and enrolling in KDP Select.  The ease of getting my book into the Kindle format, updating it with changes as needed, allowing readers to borrow First Sight from the Kindle Lending Library, and doing the free promotions have been great resources for me to promote my first novel.  There was one day last week when reports were down all day, which was really only a concern for us authors.  It didn't affect a reader's ability to purchase a book and was more of a "behind the scenes" problem.

Yesterday Amazon was having technical difficulties of another sort though: some Kindle books on their site were not available for purchase!  The page for First Sight was up, but viewers were also greeted with the following message: Pricing information not available.  The book was there, but no one could buy it.  This would be frustrating on any day, but since I was scheduled to be on a blog this morning, it was horrible timing.  The clear disadvantage of being enrolled in KDP Select is when Amazon is having problems, your book is not available anywhere else.  You don't want publicity directing readers to your book on Amazon only to have them unable to buy it. 

Unfortunately this problem affected other authors as well, but the customer service team responded to my inquiry and my book was finally available to purchase again this morning.  I'm sure I'll be checking it even more often now to make sure this problem doesn't happen again. 

A huge thank-you to Samantha Stroh Bailey for keeping me sane during this time!  She is another author, so be sure to check out her blog and book.

In other news, First Sight is also featured on Premier eBooks today under the Romance section.  Thanks to them for including it! 

1 comment:

  1. Laura, it was great having you with me during that awful day! Thanks for the shout out! I'm so glad we've connected!

    ReplyDelete