Sunday, February 3, 2013

First Things First: Before Self-Publishing

As I mentioned here (Writing First Sight) I spent three years writing, editing, and rewriting my first novel.  This was part-time, on-and-off, but it certainly wasn't an overnight process.

Since I originally planned to seek out an agent and publish traditionally, I didn't consider marketing or developing a following ahead of time.  Once my book went live on Amazon, I realized I didn't even have the very basics:
  • A blog or webpage
  • A separate email address for readers to contact me
  • An Amazon author's page
These basics are nothing new to published authors or indie authors who have been doing this for a while.  But for those of us just starting out, it pays (literally) to have marketing tools in place for when you are finally ready to self-publish.  I'm planning an upcoming post on marketing for indie authors.  I've seen some great posts out there from others and have some ideas of my own.  Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I think it's amazing that you've been able to follow your dreams!I am so impressed by you! And I love the new blog design :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! You are so sweet. :) I'm looking forward to reading your new blog!

    ReplyDelete