Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Obtaining More Reviews for Your Book

I was chatting with some author friends about reviews the other day.  As a new author, it's tough to get your book "out there" and noticed.  Reviews are crucial in the early stages of sales.  If I've never heard of an author but see they only have negative feedback, I'm unlikely to purchase their book.  That being said, how do you get lots of reviews?

Provide Advanced Reader Copies
Some authors will send copies of their books to reviewers in exchange for an honest review.  This is usually disclosed at the end of the review itself on Amazon.  Even before your book is published, you can send out an advanced reader copy (ARC), so when your book is finally live on Amazon, reviews will already be there for potential buyers.  I think this is a great idea but didn't know about it when I decided to publish my book.

Enroll your book in KDP Select
More downloads of your book will mean more readers and therefore more reviews!  The downside to this, however, is people who would never purchase your book otherwise may download it, not like it, and leave a bad review.  If I see something on a free promo, I may download it even if it's a genre I never read.  Other people may do the same with your book and not enjoy it.

Ask Friends/Family
Asking friends or family seems like a no-brainer to me!  I'd suggest lining this up ahead of time as well so you don't have to worry about it after your book has been released.

There are many different ways to go about increasing the number of reviews for your book.  What tricks have you found most useful?

No comments:

Post a Comment