Tuesday, February 5, 2013

What I'm Reading: "What Alice Forgot" and "Married by Christmas"

I've decided to start a new feature called "What I'm Reading." Although I don't intend to write lengthy book reviews on my blog at this point, I do want to share what books I'm reading or have recently enjoyed. Here are two of my favorite books that I read this January.


What Alice Forgot, by Liane Moriarty



Alice Love is twenty-nine, crazy about her husband, and pregnant with her first child.
So imagine Alice’s surprise when she comes to on the floor of a gym (a gym! She HATES the gym) and is whisked off to the hospital where she discovers the honeymoon is truly over — she’s getting divorced, she has three kids, and she’s actually 39 years old. Alice must reconstruct the events of a lost decade, and find out whether it’s possible to reconstruct her life at the same time. She has to figure out why her sister hardly talks to her, and how is it that she’s become one of those super skinny moms with really expensive clothes. Ultimately, Alice must discover whether forgetting is a blessing or a curse, and whether it’s possible to start over…

Review

I've had What Alice Forgot on my Kindle for a while and finally was able to get to it.  Alice forgets 10 years of her life, and in this book the reader discovers Alice's life right along with her.  There were a few twists that kept me guessing throughout the story, and I didn't want to put it down!  It reminded me a little of Sophie Kinsella's Remember Me, which is another of my favorites.


Married by Christmas, by Scarlett Bailey 



Anna Carter is on the brink of her dream Christmas wedding, she’s got the dress sorted, the church books, even the reindeer to pull her in a sleigh to the ceremony. But now - only two weeks before her big day - her perfect husband-to-be drops a bombshell...

Only nothing's going to stop Anna's plans - not even the pesky inconvenience of discovering her groom already has a wife!


Review

I downloaded Married by Christmas for free over the holidays and was pleasantly surprised--partly because some of the other free Christmas books were disappointing.  Despite the title, the story really has little to do with Christmas and everything to do with finding the one who's right for you. It did start a little slow, but I thought it was a great love story.  I'd recommend it to any chick lit fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment