Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Writing Wednesday: Marketing Ideas

Some of you may be wondering why I decided to change the format of my blog.  Part of that has to do with marketing.  I'm hoping to find new blog readers by broadening the scope of my blog, which in turn will eventually result in more readers for my book. 

What marketing steps do I think a new indie author should take?

Set up a Blog or Website
Starting a blog or website can be done months or even years in advance.  I've thought about blogging for a while but never started a blog because I was so focused on writing my novel.  But what I didn't realize is that if I had started earlier, I'd have a crucial element to selling my book already in place: readers!

Join Facebook and Twitter
I was already on Facebook but just joined Twitter at the end of January.  I think it would be great to already have a Twitter following before self-publishing.  I'm having to build up my followers now, a couple of months after my book has already been out.  In hindsight, it would have been nice to announce to people my book is coming, its release date, etc.

Join Pinterest, Instagram, etc.
More followers equals more potential readers!  I still don't have an Instagram account but have been on Pinterest for about one year.  Part of the reason for changing my blog format is so that I can pin pictures of what I've been up to.  The more pictures I post, the more times my photos will get repinned, and the more people will know about my blog.

Join Online Writer's Groups/Blogging Networks
I've joined some great groups of women.  While writer's groups can be useful along the way when you need advice, readers, etc. they are also great resources when it comes to marketing.  They can help you get the word out by sharing posts on Facebook, retweeting you on Twitter, and more.  Aside from self-promotion or having friends and family do the same, this is a great resource.

Go on a Blog Tour
I'll admit, I never even heard of a blog tour until after I published First Sight.  This can be a good way to get your book and name out there and even interact with readers depending on what you choose to do.  This is also something that needs to be lined up months in advance.  Chick Lit Central featured First Sight this week (Books of the Week), but this was something I lined up months ago.  I'm planning to do a tour after First Sight is available in paperback and other eformats.

Buy Advertising
I haven't done any paid advertising yet.  Amazon, Goodreads, Facebook, Google, and more all offer paid advertising.  There are many sites promoting indie authors that also offer this.  I've heard mixed reviews from authors depending on what route they've chosen.  This isn't something I would consider until First Sight is available in more formats.




No comments:

Post a Comment