Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Revisiting Reviews

As I mentioned in an earlier post (Obtaining More Reviews), it's crucial for a new author to get lots of reviews in order to help promote their book.  When you're just starting out, each review can impact your overall rating.  I think it's safe to assume that the more reviews you accumulate, the less importance each review holds. 

I was curious about the types of reviews for some of my favorite books.  I decided to take a peek at the reviews on Amazon for The Devil Wears Prada.  People who aren't even fans of chick lit probably have heard of this book simply because it was made into a wildly-successful movie staring Meryl Streep.  I was surprised to find the reviews evenly distributed across all five ratings:

2.9 out of 5 stars (1,072)
5 stars: 183
4 stars: 229
3 stars: 210
2 stars: 216
1 star: 234

Having 234 1-star reviews sounds terrible to me in general, but this book has more 1-star reviews on Amazon than any other rating! 

This example just goes to show that authors shouldn't dwell too much on negative reviews.  The Devil Wears Prada spent over one year on the New York Times Bestseller List and was made into a movie.  Although as authors we place great importance on reviews that come in, they certainly don't mean everything.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting take on reviews! Thanks for sharing the details!

    xx, Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised because I thought a book as popular as that would have overwhelmingly positive reviews!

      Delete