Monday, September 9, 2013

When Publishers Promote eBooks: The Bad

Ironically, just after my last post, I received an email from Amazon about a Kindle Book Credit because of a settlement with several large book publishers.  Obviously, I'm not the only one who think that traditional publishers pricing ebooks high (and controlling the ebook price) is bad all around.  If the settlement is approved in December 2013, customers will receive a credit in their Amazon account.  It will also put limitations on publishers' ability to control the prices of ebooks. 

This link has more information: www.amazon.com/help/agencyebooksettlements

The instance that led to my idea for this post (and the other side) were some Sophie Kinsella "boxed sets" of ebooks that I spotted in Amazon's Kindle store.  A set of five books is listed on Amazon for $38.99.  Personally, if I'm going to purchase a bundle or boxed set, it would be to save money.  Considering that many of Sophie Kinsella's older ebooks are priced at $5.99 for the Kindle edition, it is actually more expensive to buy this set of books in ebook format.  The publisher is trying to make money, but this frustrates me as a reader.  I'll stick to ebooks that are reasonably priced or else just purchase the paperback/hardback version that I can then pass along to a friend, sell, etc. in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment