Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Writing Wednesday: When Do You Find Time to Write?

I posted a while back about Writing First Sight.  I started it when I was working full-time, before I had my daughter, so I found time to write in the evenings or on weekends.  I took a break when my daughter was a newborn but soon found time again during her naptime and then in the evenings.  Babies nap a lot, and around the time she was one-year old, she'd be sound asleep by 6:30!  That left me plenty of time for writing and rewriting.

Now that my baby is a toddler and has dropped naptime, it's harder to find the time to devote just to writing.  An hour here during preschool and an hour there after her bedtime makes it hard to really dive head-first into writing a new story.  I find it much easier to devote that time to shorter tasks such as editing, writing a blog post, etc.  But writing another novel?  Writing a new chapter of a work in progress?  It's hard to really get into it when I am so quickly drawn away again.

I have several ideas I'm bouncing around and want to get back to, but I have to smile when people ask when my next book is coming out.  First Sight was literally years in the making, working on and off as my time allowed.  I imagine when my daughter is school-age, and I have a several-hour stretch to devote to writing, I will find it easier once again.  I am happy that so many people are eager for a second book though!

Today during my daughter's ballet class I sat out in the hallway, red pen in hand, and reviewed a piece I'm currently editing.  Never did I imagine when I was working full-time in an office and writing in the evenings that someday I'd have to steal moments here and there in between playdates, preschool, and dance class to write.  As my schedule changes, I'm sure I'll adjust and fall into a rhythm again.  For now I will just go with the flow and devote what time I can.

When do you find time to write?

No comments:

Post a Comment