Sunday, February 23, 2014

What I'm Reading: The Bone Season

I've been looking forward to reading The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon long before it came out.  It's definitely not chick lit, but I'm a fan of a few other similar type of science fiction and fantasy series such as The Hunger Games, Ender's Game, and Harry Potter.  The Bone Season is the first in a series of seven books. 

The story takes places in 2059, and the main character, Paige Mahoney, is a dreamwalker who can enter into other people's thoughts.  The world is controlled by the authority of Scion, and her very existence as one of the clairvoyants is illegal.  When she is captured and arrested, however, it is not by Scion, but another powerful race, the Rephaim.  She must learn to adapt to living among their kind, obeying their rules.  Much like Katniss in The Hunger Games, you will be rooting the heroine Paige on as she endures her training and fights for not only her survival, but that of friends she encounters along the way.
I tore through this 450 page book in three days.  A foot of snow on the ground and sick kiddo who spent time napping actually gave me time to sit down and read.  This was a page-turner that I had a tough time putting down.  It will be interesting to see where the author takes this series.  Although there is a need for a sequel, I'm not sure how seven books will come of this.  I thought a few sections could have been edited to shorten the book.  There are lots and lots of details and background information that can be overwhelming to the reader.  That didn't stop me from enjoying it immensely though.

No comments:

Post a Comment